Has the dismal legal job market left you feeling down? Looking for a career change? According to a recent Wall Street Journal article, your law degree can open more doors than you'd think. Here are five tips for switching careers if you’re a lawyer:
- Review your finances. You may want to do consulting work on the side while changing careers. For instance, many law firms have a need for document reviewers.
- Discover what motivates you. Think about your skills and passions.
- Evaluate your skills. Most lawyers have transferable skills, including being highly analytical, persuasive and having an ability to multitask. Search for non-law jobs related to your specialties.
- Keep learning. Getting certified or seeking professional development from personal and industry mentors can make you more competitive for jobs.
- Volunteer. Volunteering can lead to valuable life experiences and job leads.
For more InsideCounsel career stories, read: