Parents of dead teen sue Monster Beverage Corp.

Suit accuses energy drink maker of wrongful death

On Dec. 16, 2011, Anais Fournier had a 24-ounce can of Monster Energy drink. On Dec. 17, she had another one. By that evening, Fournier was in cardiac arrest, and six days later, she was dead.

Now, Fournier’s parents have sued Monster Beverage Corp., the maker of the popular energy drink, for wrongful death. They claim that the beverage—and it’s high caffeine content—caused Fournier’s death, which was reported on her death certificate as “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity complicating mitral valve regurgitation in the setting of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.” 


Cathleen Flahardy

Bio and more articles

Join the Conversation

Advertisement. Closing in 15 seconds.