To develop a comprehensive IP strategy, a company or IP attorney should ask some basic questions about the company’s goals.
- Do you want to stop competitors’ patents from issuing?
- Do you want to create licensing and sales opportunities?
- Do you want to stop or facilitate litigation?
- Do you want to shore up your patent portfolio without spending your entire patent budget?
- Is it a combination of some or all of the above?
One underused route to any good IP strategy that addresses each of these questions is the strategic use of printed publications.