A Miami family is suing American Airlines (AA) and caterer Sky Chefs, claiming they served a contaminated meal that lead to the death of a relative.
Othon Cortes’ wife and daughter said that on a May 18 flight from Barcelona to New York, Cortes ate an in-flight meal that was contaminated with bacteria. While the family waited in New York’s JFK Airport for their connecting flight to Miami, Cortes felt "discomfort and pain that included sharp stomach cramps and sudden thirst and other clear outward manifestation of severe physical illness," the suit said. During the flight to Miami, Cortes’ symptoms worsened. He eventually lost consciousness, and when the plane made an emergency landing in Norfolk, Va., he was pronounced dead.