Cozen O’Connor responds to Full Tilt Poker lawsuit

Law firm says plaintiffs’ allegations are unwarranted

Cozen O’Connor reached out to InsideCounsel to follow up on last week’s story regarding the firm’s involvement in the alleged Full Tilt Poker Ponzi scheme.

Last Monday, a class action suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California alleging that Cozen O’Connor knew that the more than $2 million in fees it made representing Full Tilt Poker was derived from illegal sources.

The putative class of 200,000 plaintiffs is seeking disgorgement of legal fees.

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) alleged Full Tilt’s board of directors misrepresented to its players that their funds were safe and available for withdrawal at any time when, in reality, those funds were not available and used to defraud its players out of more than $440 million.

Cozen O’Connor responded to the allegation, saying the charge against its firm is unwarranted and is a tactic employed by the plaintiffs to restrict their clients’ rights to legal representation.

Robert Fiebach, a member in Cozen’s Philadelphia office and the firm’s general counsel, spoke to InsideCounsel on behalf of CEO Thomas Decker. “No one, including the U.S. attorney, has made any claim, that Cozen O’Connor did anything wrong in its representation of its clients,” Fiebach said. “The firm strongly believes that its clients are entitled to legal representation, and in connection with the criminal and related litigation, the right to counsel is a right guaranteed by the constitution.”

InsideCounsel will continue to track the story. For more details, read our previous coverage

Danielle Feinstein

Bio and more articles

Join the Conversation

Advertisement. Closing in 15 seconds.