Eight Indian officials were convicted Monday of causing death by negligence, 25 years after a devastating gas leak in a pesticide factory in Bhopal India.
Union Carbide India Ltd. released 40 tons of a toxin called methyl isocyanate in 1984. Litigation stalled five years after the leak when India and Union Carbide agreed to a $470 million settlement. At the time, Union Carbide India Ltd. was majority-owned by the U.S.-based Union Carbide Corp. This lethal gas emission killed more than 3,000 people within the first few days and 15,000 in the following years.